A while ago, I decided to search 'Stavropol' on facebook, and then message people telling them that I am a Rabbi who just moved here, and blah blah blah a Shabbaos meal.
It worked, because I found 2 ex-Stavropolian Jews. One of them told me about odnoklassniki.ru, the Russian version of facebook.
So I joined 'classmates', and added him as my friend. Pretty soon I started to find people we know from the community, and I made a group called 'Stavropol Jews'.
Then I was told about vkontakte.ru, another facebook style program, and decided to search there as well.
After several weeks now, I have compiled a list of Stavropol Jews, perhaps 40 of them on odnoklassniki.ru and 15 of them on vkontakte.ru. I keep meeting more and more of them (some of them in Israel). One of them is now a yeshiva bochur!
And that is how we keep in touch with our community.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Are you back in Russia?
My husband Yitzhok pledged $ but never got to you.
I guess he should give to your parents?
Rivkah Smith
I'm in New Jersey now, but he can give it to my parents. Tell him to write it out to VMM so I can get him a receipt.
Thanks so much!
And may Hashem bless your family with all the Borachos.
Post a Comment