Yesterday I went to New York.
I had to, since the day before I was in Philadelphia.
OK, to back up. After the fiasco in Montreal, and doing a small fundraising trip in Toronto, we returned to Morristown with a Canadian passport. The problem? Russia gives Canadians visas after a minimum 30 days, the reason given on their website? "since Canada make the Russians wait, we will make the Canadians wait."
Sounds like grade 3 all over again.
Anyway, we found out about a place in Philly that can do passports in a few hours, so we drove to Flyers-town. Incidentally, while we are on the subject, Tali Yess did a great job on our Sefer Torah flyer, which we will be sending out by mail soon.
Our experience in Philadelphia:
We arrived in the morning and went to the office. Chayale had amassed a bagful of documents and papers, including stuff like her kindergarten report cards. We went in through a metal detector and serious security (later I would notice that homeland security had offices in the building). They confiscated Chayake's scizzors (she got them back later).
Then we waited in line for like 15 minutes. Our number was called. I thought it would be like 5 minutes but they made some big issue out of some minor thing, and we stood there for like a half hour. Chayale whispered that I should say Tehillim. It was hard, though, since I had to watch Miriam, who was very edgy.
Chayale says a miracle happened. She mentally told the Rebbe, "we're going out there for you, to do your work. Don't make this hard for us", and then immediately the woman said, "ok, looks like everything will be good. Your passport will be ready in 2hours."
We wanted to get Miriam an American passport as well, but we will need more papers in order to do that.
Two hours later, after strolling around central Philly, we returned and picked up the passport. it was a breeze. Then we went to Morristown for a bar-b-q supper with Esty.
Anyway, so yesterday I was in NY to get Chaim Shimsh a visa. Spent the morning in Manhattan finding the place, filling out the paperwork, and giving over the money, and dropping off at B & H to visit best buddy Chaim Hertzel.
Then it was off to Crown Heights to do the final pick-ups. Shluchim office for Igor Lerner's Tefillin - check. HaSofer to pick up 5 free Mezuzas for people in Stavropol - check. Grocery shopping for kosher food we can't get in Russia - check.
The day was looking very accomplishing and successful. But then I met Levi Adelman and the luck he has obtained through his beloved Bruins made it's way into me. I had no luck fundraising, and the roller-hockey game was cancelled at the last minute. Bummer.
I returned to Morristown a little glum.
But then Chayale gave me some ice cream so all was good.

2 comments:
Lesson of the story:
1- give money
2- ice cream is the cure to everything or in Mary Poppins language... "just a spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go daown!"
I am so so sorry!!!
I will become a Detroit Red Wings fan immediately, in order to bring you better Mazal!
:)
I really appreciated being able to see you. I hope Stavropol is as happy to see you again as I was.
Post a Comment