Well, here's an update. With pictures! (see below).
This past Shabbos I was in the Russian shul for the kiddush and they asked me to speak. I was after a few Lechaims, and seeing a new face that looked 'Stavropolish' on my way to the front of the table where they wanted me to stand, I asked the man in Russian "mountain Jew?"
"Yes."
"From where?"
"Pyatigorsk."
"Cool. You were my responsibility a year ago. I lived in Stavropol."
His eyes lit up.
Then I told the story of Chaim Khanukayev, which I'd written here before about the student, a great grandson of Rabbi Rachman of Grozni Chechnya (he showed me a picture) who lives in Zelenokumsk (find it on a map).
We tried to meet many times, but it didn't work out.
Punkt on the second that my secretary asks me in the street why I wear a hat and jacket in public when it's dangerous and I tell her that I meet Jews that way, I got a phone call from Chaim, who had spotted me from across the street ONLY BECAUSE OF MY HAT AND JACKET and given me a hug, after which we had him over a few times.
Anyway, after the story I spoke to this guy, Arkady. Turns out his cousins live in Stavropol, and he talks to them regularly. I know them. The wife isn't a Jew but wants to convert. They have a baby boy.
Hashgacha protis.
So I decided to post, because of the other good news.
A new Rabbi just moved to Stavropol!
Yes, it's true. I knew about it for a while and have been giving all my files over to him.
His name is Alex Nesterov, and he's from Ufa, Russia. He's a real good guy. Married, with a baby.
I'm so grateful that all our work didn't go for nothing. Also, I have to thank Rabbi Lazar for treating us way and beyond what anyone could have ever hoped.
He sent me most of these photos.
I also need to update the political situation.
After throwing us out, Yefim lost everyone and everything. He's only full of hatred. Finally the community banded together and with help from Moscow, they created a new Jewish community - of Stavropol Krai!
Kostya Solomonov is the president of the new community, and he calls me regularly to chat and discuss what should be done.
Hopefully he will now do this with the new Rabbi and our chats will mostly be just catching up. He always tells me the community still wants us back as a second Rabbi.
Rabbi Lazar and Alexander Boroda flew down to introduce Rabbi Nesterov to the community. They met with the governor and toured the old Shul. According to the news, the work will get started for the shul to be returned to the community. Rabbi Lazar also was clear that he was giving this new community his full support.
He also met with all potential and former sponsors.
Here are some news articles.
http://feor.ru/news/index.php?newsid=9030
http://www.jewish.ru/news/cis/2010/06/news994286140.php
http://www.interfax-religion.ru/?act=news&div=35990 - mentions that there are 3000 Jews in Stavropol.
http://www.aen.ru/?page=article&category=tradition&article_id=1510&PHPSESSID=mr9gi7h7gutimbq35aocn039q2 with a picture
http://www.gubernator.stavkray.ru/?go=news&news=2296 - THIS IS FROM GOVERNOR GAIEVSKY'S SITE. Pictures of the Rabbis meeting Gaievsky (who is rumored to be Jewish, by the way). Their it says that Rabbi Nesterov was also at the meeting.

(L-R) President of cmomunity Kostya Solomonov, Sochnut head Natasha Kuligina, Rabbi Alex Nesterov the Rabbi of Stavropol, Reb Alexander Boroda head of the Russian Jewish Federation and Rabbi Berel Lazar chief Rabbi of Russia

The crowd.
Rabbi Lazar with the Davydov family.
Kostya Solomonov president of the community now, Rabbi Lazar, and Rabbi Nesterov

Ilana Berkun holds the Nesterov baby.

9 comments:
wow. So good to see you back Zvi!
They must miss you so there.
You did amazing work!
And nu, what's the latest with you?
Thank you Bash and Shua.
The latest with me?
Trying to juggle being a Tatty of three (ba"h), learning to become a Menaker at work, and writing several screenplays (my own, and I've been hired by others...)
All in all, not much time to write on here unfortunately... But I had to update.
How are you guys doing?
Sounds exciting, if not exactly blog-worthy.
Not too much over here- still trying to figure out the meaning of life...
Go on shlichus, you'll soon discover it. ;-)
Of course I did!
You'll have to go to find out...
Everyone has their own purpose in life..
I have to go out to find out if you did?
Yeah, I just had a job interview where the guy asked me, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I wish I knew.
Zvi, nice to see that you've updated.
But I think you may be clearly avoiding the answer to what the real Shliach asked?
What did you find out when you went out on Shlichus?
I'm still working on it too.
Post a Comment