Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The end of the Kovalev story


Update: we are in Montreal, which is why we haven't updated the website in a while, since there isn't much to report here with regards to Stavropol news.

However before we left, I (Zvi writing) had another meeting with Alex Kovalev.

It was thanks to a great idea by Chayale.

Since the photographer at the Torah event came at a very cheap price, and did a great job taking high quality shots, why don't we hire him before we leave back, and take our own stock photos of all our Jewish items, so we don't have to search the entire internet next time we make a brochure like we had to for the Torah event?

To take this a step further, why not bring in 6 of the community's cutest kids to be in some of the pictures, like this we have high quality shots of kids FROM OUR COMMUNITY doing Mitzvos, so on our next Chanuka flyer we send out, there will be a local kid in a beautiful shot.

We had one day to organize it, and we managed to do just that.

Except for the Torah. Half hour before the photo-shoot I rushed to the Jewish center, and grabbed the Torah. Now I needed a way back, so I called everyone I knoew with cars, but they were all out of the city. It was raining, and I wasn't too keen on taking the Torah into a taxi with someone I didn't know, so I called Alex Kovalev (a Jewish cab driver I met), and for the first time in many tries, he was in the area.

He came quickly, and I showed him the Torah, and we spoke about it on the way home. I also explained him again about Hashgacha Protis, and finally he agreed to bring his family to a holiday, provided I give him advance notice.

As we pulled up to our apartment, he said, "by the way, I have something interesting to tell you."

"Go ahead" I said.

"Remember last time I told you that I have a sister who lives in the Czech republic? well she just gave birth to a son. Now in Czech, the tradition is to name the first son after the father, so everyone knew that the boy would be named 'Yarik', which is the name of her husband. However, when she arrived at the office of registry, she just blurted out that she wants his name to be 'David', even though she never knew anyone named David (note: David as 'Dovid', not David with a Day-vid)."

Alex then told me, "Strange Rabbi, David is a Jewish name, and I had never told her that she was a Jew!"

No comments: