Sunday, May 03, 2009

Online class for exiled Shliach


In the comments of a previous post, my brother Benny suggested that I try to organize online Torah classes with my community. Apparently that is what the Shliach of Cuba does or something tothat effect.

Anyway, before Shabbos I wrote to Anya Davidova, a very active member of the community and leader of most of the young people, and I asked if she would be interested in helping to organize an online Torah class.

Well, tonight I rceived her response, and it was a positive one.

So now the question is: what should I teach?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd say def. toyrah

the Mitzvah man! said...

I need to agree with anonymous on that one.
I think you should prepare some sort of visual curriculum for them to follow along with. Sort of like Yossi Jacobson's weekly Shiurim (www.theyeshiva.net). His Shiurim are incredible, not that hard to prepare (I presume) and a really good base to begin with.
I would say a Parsha summary in 10-15 minutes and then a lesson we can learn from it (Sicha) in 10 minutes.
To begin with a 30 minute Shiur would be awesome.

I just thought of something else. Would Zalmy Glassner edit a video for you, of you giving a Shiur and something like Chayaleh showing how to bake some sort of Kosher food... You know, like an inspiring Mendy Pellin that's full of Toichen and properly edited... Perhaps Moscow would even financially cover for the video editing... If Siberstein was doing it together with you, it might even be a bigger incentive for Moscow to financially cover you guys. It would show that Moscow is still supporting you and is not giving up in any way... There is also no way Yefim can interfere, unless he pulls the plug on Russia's internet access (Is he THAT influential??)

I think that as soon as a Stavropol newspaper gets the slightest knowledge of your online video's, it would be all over the place and would be a clear indication of your genuine love and care for each Jew in Stavropol.

I would love to help sponsor some sort of website for you to do the live webcast from or whatever... We'll be in touch and I'm so happy that this might just work out.

I think that you should send Rabbi Lazar an email, explaining him that you want to do the online Torah class for the community and that the community already showed an interest in it... Ask him what he thinks and if he would help out etc...

Ciao Y Hatzlaja Raba Umuflaga!

Zvi said...

Good ideas, Benny.

But still, teaching a Sicha? I like the Parsha idea, but I think it should be more of a continuous class...

the Mitzvah man! said...

O. Good point.

Sholom Ber Shuchat said...

you could start with a free service like this: http://www.webcamnow.com/
http://www.camstreams.com/