First off, I apologize for the long wait between posts. In Russia the new year is celebrated for 13 days. Almost all stores and businesses are closed and everyone stumbles around drunk. This is because they celebrate 'Kratzmach' as well on the 7th of January. So now that I finally found an internet cafe which is open, I can post a wild and wacky story happened to us two Fridays ago.
About a month ago, we were suddenly told by our landlord Nikolai that he wanted us out of our apartment because 'he couldn't understand what we said' and 'we didn't live by the rules' by which he meant that we actually (GASP) put toiletpaper down the toilet (this is absolute truth. Our toilet couldn't handle paper inside it, and if there would be any, all the hot water in the building wouldn't work until it was fixed).
So we started looking for a new apartment. We had several people looking for us. We found one that we liked, but the owner, as soon as he saw us, backed out - he 'doen't want foreigners'. We kept looking with no luck, even though we had four realtors searching and an ad in the paper. With barely any time left we requested an extra week from Nikolai to look for an apartment, and he agreed. We paid for the extra week and continued looking.
As I wrote before, we found one possiblitly. Small, and drabby-looking, at least everything worked, it was cheap, and they promised to fix most of the problems. And so on Friday we found ourself on the way to one more apartment in the heavy traffic of a Stavropol afternoon. Sudden my secretary called. "Nikolai is in the center, demanding to see the Rabbi. He wants you out of the apartment within two hours and he is not budging."
It didn't make sense. I had paid him on Sunday for a week, which meant we had until SUNDAY!
Stuck in traffic, on the way to see an apartment, we tried to argue with him, explain to him and that our Shabbos was coming and it was impossible to move, even tried bribing him, but he wouldn't hear of anything.
So we looked at the apartment and sped back to the center. By the time we arrived at the Obshchin Nikolai had left 'in a fury' according to the secretary. Everyone there suggested we move into a hotel for Shabbos, but of course with 2 hours to go that would be impossible.
With no choice, and knowing there was a half hour left to Shabbos in Moscow, we called Rabbi Lazar. Or rather, his secretary. Meanwhile Chayale raced home to finish cooking for Shabbos (barely anything was prepared).
A few minutes later Moscow called back with the report from R' Lazar. "Tell Nikolai that it is impossible before Shabbos to move out, and that he doesn't want the chief Rabbi of Russia on his head."
I called Nikolai immediately, and told him I had to meet him (I had no idea how to explain him Shabbos over the phone). He said he'll be over in 10 minutes.
Time passed, and everyone left the building. the Rosh Hakahal, Yefim Fainer, agreed to stay to help, but he lives a half hour away by bus, and wanted to be home before Shabbos. So Yefim stayed with me, to help translate and back me up. An hour went by. Meanwhile, some people showed up at the center. The first one was a Jew who sells Kosher Mevushal Fortant wine here. In the middle of the crisis I decided to put Tefillin on him. Then Igor, another Jew popped in with his brother Moshe. Igor is very interested in Yiddishkeit, while Moshe isn't. I quickly put Tefillin on Igor, between answering phone calls from a desperate Chayale, who wonderfully managed to make Shabbos and watch the baby while this was going on.
Moshe refused to Leig Tefillin, so I told him how this Shabbos was HIS Shabbos - Shmos. It's the first time Moshe is mentioned in the Torah, and the rest of the Torah discusses him. Also, it's the Rambam's Yahrzeit, and 'Mimoshe limoshe lo kam kimoshe'.
He smiled but still refused to leig Tefillin. They left after a while, and I sat with Yefim, and tried to learn something. With a half hour left to Shabbos I gave up. I told Yefim, "I'm going home!"
And walked to the door to leave, when the bell rang, and Oleg, one of Nikolai's men (a secretary?) showed up.
I let him in and sat across from Oleg in an office. I knew that this was crunch time. I secretly Davened to Hashem for help, asked the Rebbe to put in a good word for me, and started explaining Oleg about our Shabbos, etc.
I also told him that I thought it was until Sunday, and finally told him what Rabbi Lazar said. He called Nikolai and told me it was ok. We could stay until Sunday. Then he left.
I know it doesnt sound like the greatest miracle stroy but BOY did I thank Hashem. Yefim left, and I raced home. We didn't even have time to start packing, what with calling the realtor and taking the cheap, small place, arranging to meet after Shabbos, and setting up for Shabbos.
Shabbos I came to the Shul and Farbrenged with the 10 or so Jews who meet at 2 PM. I made Lecahim and thanked Hashem and the Rebbe, and farbrenged with Yefim until after Shabbos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
AIBISHTER!!! What is happening to my holy brother??!!!
This is so awesome! The most inspiring blog on thw web for me!
quite a story! I finally read all the details to it... it's worst then i thought... but I still hold my ground, it was Miriam's flirtatious smile that convinced Nikolai to help you stay... Miriam, you can go far in life, if you keep that up, but can't you get off your tush and start walking already!!
Post a Comment