Thursday, April 03, 2008

Pesach class

Yesterday Chayale spent the entire morning on the phone with our secretary working on perfecting her class in Russian.

Yes, she did her first class on "the kosher kitchen".

6 women came, and I happened to be in the house when they arrived, and can PERSONALLY ATTEST to seeing one of the women give Chayale a big hug upon entering.

While I watched Miriam in the next room (or tried to watch... actually what I did was sit her in front of a video and try to see how many chocolate balls I can stuff into her mouth), Chayale had given each of the women a plate. She then taught them all about the seder plate.

They made Charoses by chopping up walnuts and apples and mixing them with wine, then they boiled eggs, followed by roasting chicken shankbone (I always wanted to write that word), after which they peeled and cut maror and checked it for bugs, and finally washed and checked lettuce.

All the while Chayale explained the mystical interepetations, and other cool Jewish stuff.

Then Chayale told them to take it home, but they refused and instead ate it all in one festive meal at our home. One woman even cried when she ate the Maror.

They spoke alot, and planned the next class, for this coming Wednesday night, where they will bake something else that has to do with the Seder.

I personally suggested making a model Matza bakery, but Chayale vetoed my idea, saying "maybe next year."

When everyone left, Chayale couldn't understand why Miriam was on such a sugar high.

No comments: