Tuesday, February 24, 2009

More on Chaim


Pictured is Sasha Filatov, Davening in Sunday school.

In the last post, I mentioned how I met a young Mountain Jew named Chaim in the street after trying to get in touch with him for ages. I'd like to write more about him.

Chaim comes from a town about a 6 hour drive east of Stavropol, but still in the Krai (province) which makes me responsible for the spirituality of his family. The town is called Zelenokumsk.

They know of only one other Jew in Zelenokumsk, but they are very proud of their heritage. Chaim has joined our Minyan, and he brought with him some fascinating objects. A picture of his great-grandfather Rabbi Rachman, who was the chief Rabbi of Chechnya a century ago, a picture of his sisters family, who are religious, and close to Chabad of Norway. Matter of fact, they live in Stavanger, and bring in Kosher meat from Oslo through the shluchim there.

And finally, his family owns a 'yad' from a Torah, 300 years old! His grandmother is a deeply religious person, and hasn't eaten meat in over 60 years (since the last time there was a shochet!).

His family keeps as many Jewish traditions as they can. Some day I'd like to travel out there to meet them.

For now, his father will be joining him this Shabbos at our Minyan/meal.

No comments: