Sunday, August 30, 2009

Closure



I wrote about him before, but I'll write again.

Back when I was in Stavropol, I got a message from an 'Eduard Croitoru'. He wrote (in Russian) that he is from Moldova, his father is Jewish but mother isn't. He wants to become a Jew. An orthodox Jew. He continued by saying that he's writing to me because I'm the only Rabbi on odnoklassniki (Russian version of facebook, where I got the message). He finished by saying that he had just mvoed to Montreal, and didn't know what to do (he had no idea I was from Montreal).

we started a correspondence and I got him connected with Rabbi Sirota of the Russian Jewish Community Center of Montreal. I met him once during a visit from Stavropol and he told me he was studying with some Rabbis in order to convert.

This past Shabbos I went to the Russian Shul, and bumped into him there. I didn't get to speak to him until after Davening. After chatting a bit, I asked him how much longer until he joins our nation.

"I was circumcised this past Monday, Rabbi." was his ecstatic reply. "I am a Jew!"

3 comments:

Just like a guy said...

The power of facebook! I love it!

(maybe I should get facebook?)

Anonymous said...

For shlichus? it's amazing.

Just like a guy said...

Once I go on shlichus then...