This past Shabbos after the meal, we went downstairs to the Samama's to play some board games and let the kids beat each other up.
After the games, we sat on the front porch of our duplex, chatting. We noticed that garbage which had been strewn along our front walk by our mean downstairs neighbor (everyone has one of these) had been picked up nicely and put in a large black bag on the side of the stairs.
Apparently we also have a nice neighbor.
As we discussed this, the Samama's told us that in fact, we did. There was a Jewish woman living across the street on Vezina who is married to an Armenian. She has in past picked up garbage the garbage men missed on Friday.
As we spoke about her, she showed up. In a car. She rolled down the window and started chatting with Zalmy Samama, who invited her and her family for Rosh Hashana.
Listening to her speak, I noticed she had a strong Russian accent. I approached her and asked her in Russian where she's from.
"Yerevan, Armenia. But my native tongue is Russian." was her reply.
"Oh cool. My family lived in Stavropol, Russia for over a year where I served as Rabbi of the province!" I told her in Russian.
Her eyes widened. "Stavropol? I was raised and spent most my life in Pyatigorsk! (2 hours from Stavropol, in the province).
I don't know why I keep meeting these Stavropolian Jews. I invited her also for a Rosh Hashana meal. Maybe we can have a Stavropol ex-pats Rosh Hashana meal in Montreal...
Monday, September 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
cool!
Post a Comment