yesterday was Sasha Filatov's bar mitzvah. I called him to wish him Mazel Tov and remind him to put on tefillin (there are 2 pairs in Stavropol, once of them thanks to the Tefillin bank of the Shluchim office, who provided them to Igr Lerner after he promised to put them on daily).
Boy were the Filatovs happy to hear our voices. Chayale chatted with his mother, Anya, who is a wonderful woman full of life and character, and a fellow Mom. They spoke for awhile. Chayale told her that we remember her every time we see this Stavropol 'plate' which hangs on our wall that she gave Chayale before she left.
Then I told her to have a meal and eat apples with honey and pray a little on Rosh Hashana. Her husband, by the way, isn't Jewish, but he is a very good man.
Then we asked what they are planning for Rosh Hashana, and she said, 'this year we have no Rabbi to guide us, so we're going to the park and dancing to live music.'
I don't even know what to do about that. That's as far from Rosh Hashana as it gets. But what can I do? it's already been planned and all...
They so need a Rabbi, and I wish someone would move out there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment