Monday, April 06, 2009

The Candidate


Kostya with Shertil Shalumov, chief Rabbi of Pyatigorsk at our Torah event

Yesterday morning I called Stavropol for a scheduled meeting with some of the leaders of the community.

We spoke about Pesach (Chayale even gave over a Dvar Torah), and discussed the situation.

The only clear thing that came from the meeting is that they finally have a candidate for president of the community.

Kostya Solomonov is a successful businessman who owns a cafe/hotel at the edge of Stavropol. He tried to move to Moscow a couple of months ago, but has returned.

He is on my Mivtzoim route, and I used to put Tefillin on him every Friday (now his brother, who works with him, is on the route). Before he left to Moscow, we were starting to learn Chumash together.

The Siyum Sefer Torah was done in his cafe, and he allowed and encouraged us to make the restaurant kosher.

I think it's a good choice.

No comments: