Thursday, April 02, 2009

Presidents are not easy to find


The flag of Stavropol Krai. Very colorful.



Moscow calls every day. That is what I'm being told by Igr Lerner and Natasha, head of the Sochnut. They are working on getting rid of Yefim, and putting a new president in, since that is the only way there can be a normal future for Stavropol Jewry, and the only way I can return too.

The biggest problem is that the rules made by the Federation (and Rabbi Lazar) are such that no president can be fired by Rabbi Lazar. Everything must be done within the community. And here is the problem, since presidents have the right to virtually decide who can vote, when the vote can be, and whether or not a new vote can take place.

Yesterday I got an email asking me to call the Federation as some problems have come up. So I called Moscow, and was informed of a massive problem. In order to get rid of Yefim, we had to find someone in the community ready to go up against him. The man we had didn't want to be president, for various reasons.

So I spent all of yesterday morning and early afternoon calling people in Russia, trying to find someone to take over. Several people agreed to give it a shot, but they were 'disqualified' by Moscow.

This poses a problem. We still need to find someone...

Moscow has asked Yefim to make a new vote, and he refused. He also of course refused to step down. So now they're trying different possibilities. One of them calls for me writing a letter, another calls for starting a new 'community' in Stavropol.

Oh, the drama.

No comments: