Saturday, December 20, 2008

A chance to move forward



As I wrote (or so I think), last week someone from Moscow came to assess the situation between the president of the community and myself. If you have been reading this blog persistantly, you will know that the president has been abusing his power, and is hated by about 90% of the Stavropol Jewish community. We tried over and over to work with him, but nothing worked out, even signed agreements, which he broke.

Two thursdays ago, we met and he essentially said he didn't want a shul or kosher kitchen in his place. We informed Rabbi Lazar, who sent someone down for the assessment.

First the man, Igor, interviewed us. We spoke for 3 hours. Igor is one of the people who was with me in Moscow when we wrote the agreement the president signed (which he had now broken repeatedly). I told Igor I refuse to work with him because:

1 - He doesn't want Yiddishkeit, and I am here for just that purpose.
2 - He is inconsistent and lies.

We also wanted to take away his funding for the Sunday school.

To make a long story short, the current situation, after all the talking, etc. is:

1 - Sunday school is ours (funding at least). This means we can start to teach Yiddishkeit to the kids again.
2 - The shul and kosher kitchen moves out of the center. We will rent our own office, where the shul, kitchen, and Sunday school will be.
3 - We will inform each other of what we will do each month.

Let's see how this works out. It's definitely a better situation than it was before.

No comments: