Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Minyan for Kaddish


Last night, after the Chazzanus concert, I had to finish organizing a Minyan.

The entire day yesterday had been spent making calls to try and gather 10 men in order to say Kaddish in memory of Rachamamim ben Mordechai Avshalumov.

You see, one of our biggest and most consistant supporters and friends is a woman named Angela Avshalumova (pictured above with Chaim Shimshon). Her husband is a loud, warm Armenian, and she has three children who, of course, are Halachic Jews. There's Viktoria and Aram, who was 22 year old twins, and there's Tigran, who is (I think) 8.

Every month, she drops by the house unannounced, brings lots of fruits with her, and 3000 rubles (about 120 dollars), and then chats with Chayale. Actually, the first name we knew before we came to the city was Avshalumov, since her sister-in-law is Rina Avshalumov, a friend of Chayale's from Detroit.

Anyway, a week ago, she dropped by and told us how her brother's yahrzeit (day that he passed away) was coming up. She asked what to do. I told her that I'll try to get a Minyan together to say Kaddish. When she suggested that we do it in her house, since her entire extended family will be there too in order to remember Rachamim (or Roma, in Russian), I told her that I'll bring a Menorah which Aram will light.

(Actually the original idea was to get the Chazzan to say Kaddish at Yefim's event, where there will defnitely be a Minyan, but Yefim vetoed that idea).

After making calls the entire day, I finally had 10 men commit to be there. One of the men didn't know he was going to be there, and that was Refoel Khaimov. He's a taxi driver and a mountain Jew. I hired him to bring me there, and then bring me back.

On the way, I told him that he was making our Minyan (10 men needed to say the 'Kaddish' prayer). He was shocked, but happy to join.

We arrived at the Avshalumov residence, which was a little difficult to find, and it is a palace. Beautiful house, even for American standards. May everyone in our community live in such a house.

When I got there, waiting for me was already 9 men. One was a surprise. I had invited his son Roma, but Sasha Solomonov came to complete the Minyan. Then I called Misha Gorovenko, the last man, and he told me he was a few minutes away.

So while we waited, I gathered everyone into the massive living room, and set up the Menorah I had brought. I told over the story of Chanukah in brief. And then, Aram lit the Menorah. It was really beautiful.

Finally Misha arrived, with his little son Dovid in tow, and I instructed them what to do, then said Kaddish. Afterward I explained what Kaddish is about and why we say it.

Then I thanked everyone for coming, and prepared to leave. But Misha Gorovenko grabbed my arm.

"Kavod HaRav," he said (he says those words before he speaks to me. Every time) "we just got here. Please stay longer. I want my son to see some Yiddishkeit and hear you say a few more words."

Viktor, Angela's husband, asked me also to stay, and invited us to sit with him and his family for a small meal. I tried calling Chayale but couldn't get through, so I told them I'll stay a couple of minutes. Then I noticed a bottle of Grey Goose, and told them I can drink that. And water. And fruits.

AFter which a massive discussion on Kosher erupted. Viktor, who owns a restaurant, said that when Rabbi Shayevich (the other chief Rabbi of Russia) came to Stavropol a couple of years ago, he ate in Viktor's restaurant.

This put me in a quandry. I explained that I'm Chabad, etc. etc. Although for the life of me, I cannot understand why Rabbi Shayevich would do that.

Anyway, then I told a Dvar Torah about what is so special about the miracle... it seems like the most boring miracle ever! That followed with a huge discussion on Talmud, and if I can argue with the Talmud. Then people spoke about Rachamim and we all made some Lechaims that his Neshama should have an Aliya.

It was really, really nice. They had put out tons of juicy-looking food. While I didn't touch anything, I could see that the Minyan were impressed and happy. The final discussion was about building a Shul and finsing space for one. While they argued and spoke, I chatted with Aram, the son. He has started working, so I asked him if he would mind being on my Mivtzoim route.

"No problem," he said. So my list has now grown a bit.

Then we all said our thanks, I thanked the entire Minyan for coming and the Avshalumovs for having us, and I got into Refoel's taxi on the way home.

As we are driving past the city center, Refoel turns to me and says, "thank you so much."

He then explained that the person we had just said Kaddish for, Rachamim Avshalumov, was a close friend of his.

Hashgocho Protis is what I call that.



Shayevich

No comments: