Sunday, December 14, 2008

Governor Gaievsky's Jubilee



This past Thursday was the new governor of Stavropol Krai's birthday. His 50th birthday, hence his 'Jubilee'.

Ari Edelkopf, shliach to Sochi, shared this information with me, and suggested I send him a card and a gift.

At first, I decided not to do this, since I wanted to deliver the Menorah I have for him personally, but then we found a wonderful present given to us by friends in Montreal who were in Israel... A Chamsa with Birkas Habayis on it.

So my secretary bought a big card, and we wrapped up the Chamsa in a nice gift bag that we had bought in New Jersey.

We deliberated alot over what to write. My suggestion was:

"Esteemed majestic and honored governor may you live to 120,

Congratulations on your Jubilee! I'm sure you know that the word 'Jubilee' cmes from the Hebrew word 'Yovel', in which every 50 years all land was returned to it's proper owner in ancient Israel. Therefore, in recognition of YOUR Jubilee, we request the return of the Stavropol Synagogue to it's proper owner."

Unfortunately, my plan was vetoed, and you can read above what we eventually wrote.

We brought it to the 'Duma', and dropped it off with a Jew who works in the governors office, and prmosied to give it to Mr. Gaievsky.

No comments: