Friday, March 14, 2008

On the topic of Hasgacha Portis...

Hashem works in mysterious ways.

I know that is a quote straight of a Tzvi Jacobs book, but he really does.

About a month ago, Levi Stiefel, a fellow Canadian Shliach in Voronezh, Russia told me about a website for Canadian Expats in Moscow, where they have discussed all the visa problems and what to do about it.

I found the site boring.

Anyway, on Wednesday, I had a few spare moments on the internet, and googled Montreal expats in Stavropol.

One of the websites it brought up was an article written by a "Graham", who for some odd reason compared Stavropol to Montreal (to give you an idea of the differences, it is right now like minus-30 in Montreal while I am typing this in my bathing suit... Oh, and tie. I AM a Rabbi after all).

The gyst of the article was to convince people to come to Stavropol to visit, or preferably to stay, and that there is much work to be done here.

At the end, Graham, an Englishman, posted his email address. The article was dated 2 years ago. But I sent Graham an email anyway, telling him I'm a Canadian Rabbi in town, who assumed I was the only foreigner from an English-speaking country, and that I would love to meet him. I left him my cell number, and went home and forgot about the whole email (Chayale had made pizza for supper, so can I be blamed?).

Later that night I receive a phone call. "Hi, is this Zvi? my name is Mel, and I'm a South African Jew who has moved here four months ago..."

A SOUTH AFRICAN JEW who had no idea there was anothing Jew in this city!

Obviously I invited him for Shabbos and went to meet him. Turns out that as far as we know, there are 3 of us English-speakers in this town. Graham and Mel teach English to students here.

I think Hashem guided me a little bit so I can find this South African before Purim and make sure he does another Mitzvah. What do you think?

1 comment:

the Mitzvah man! said...

That is totally awesome!!!!

Unbelievable.