Purim was amazing... and while I can't post pictures here yet (not enough time at the moment), I can say that it really was special.
100 Jews in a cafe, with beautiful music, and cutre kids, it worked out teriffic. Only one thing - my request that all food be kosher was ignored, and non-kosher wine was on the tables. This means that we can no longer trust anyone else, and we will run holidays ourselves.
We arrived late, as we said we would, and apparently the party had already started. From what I heard later people representing several communities, including (surprise) the Cossacks! came to wish us well. As we walked in I met the leader of the "Ossetian diaspora" who wished us well and said he was glad to meet us.
Also, the leaders of the community, president Yefim Fainer and Sachnut head Natasha Kulugina told everyone how happy they were to do it together, and to welcome the new Rabbi blah blah blah.
When we arrived (with 120 Shalach Manos'), a little girl was singing Tumbalalalaika and dancing. It was very good, and a little sad because she had a cast on her arm.
Then we sat down while a comedian (very well-known Russian comedian Moscow had sent) told some jokes, and a young tall singer with a deep voice sang some traditional Jewish Purim songs (such as "vodka spasiba nyet davai" and "ya vodka khatchoo moy myatch").
Then I had to speak, and gave a very prepared Dvar Torah, followed by a half hour Megilla reading. I wish I could say that people wept while hearing Megilla for the first time in 80 years, but the truth was if they wept, it was because of my hoarse voice (man, the kids made noise).
The good news is that since here no one knows Hebrew enough to realize when you say Haman, it means that unlike America, every five seconds you don't have to stop reading because someone heard you say the name out loud.
Then I broke my fast, the kids put on the cutest Purimshpiel, everyone danced (the leaders of both communities together!), and I juggled (which shocked everyone).
It was a beautiful night.
My highlight was when one man came up to me and told me with ACTUAL tears in his eyes: "Rabbi, I thank G-d that he brought you to our community."
More updates to follow soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
what a great accomplishment! I would call that a success (despite the whole non-kosher food thing) Keep it up!!!
Post a Comment