Monday, October 26, 2009

Maaser issues


I don't know what exactly he plans on doing, but president of the new community in Stavropol Kostya Solomonov called me yesterday and we had a conversation. Apparently he is under the assumption that I am like the chief Rabbi of Canada or something, and he wants to list Stavropol as Montreal's "sister city."

What do I tell him? I told him it's a good idea, and he should email me what exactly that entails, and what his ideas are.

Then we spoke about our Maaser problem. Basically, Moscow isn't giving them enough money to really have a decent Sunday school (they get enough to keep it running though). Obviously, we want the Jewish children to get a Jewish education, and now that I have a couple of jobs, I have Maaser (10%) that I have to give to Tzedaka.

So I asked if there is any easy way for me to transfer funds to them every month... They didn't know, but they suggested that I contact Moscow. Perhaps I can donate to them, and they'll add it to the monthly budget they send...

Anyway, that's what I'm working on now...

No comments: