As some of you know, I've joined the MJHL (Montreal Jewish Hockey League), organized by fellow Lubavitcher Mr. Abenaim here in Montreal.
I've always been a roller hockey player, and only made the transition to ice when I was about 18 - when I started going with some regularity. It took a long time for my skating to get decent.
As a roller hockey player, I used to be known for my speed, stickhandling, passes and defensive play. But now my stomach has expanded (thanks to having the best cook as a wife), and I've slowed down. I moved back to defence about 5 years ago, and in roller-hockey I do a great job at it - controlling the offence, setting up plays, stepping in to shoot at the right times, and being defensively responsible.
In my first year of marriage, I joined the league for 1 game, and hated it. Too many players, all better than me, and very little ice time for myself.
This year, after watching some buddies of mine improve dramatically (and become beter players than me) through playing in the league, I decided to join.
I played 2 preseason games, and it was clear that I was the worst player on the ice (even though in my second game I got a goal).
"You'll improve, you'll improve," everyone told me. "Why we remember when ______ started, he couldn't even skate backwards, and now he dominates the boards..."
Well, tonight was the first time I felt that I was playing at the same level as most of the regular players. I was up to their speed, and I was actually leading my defence and giving directions. I played my heart out every shift, and played responsibly yet aggressively, keeping the forwards away from my goalie.
I blocked 6 shots, broke up four 2-on-1's and one 3-on-1 in which I'm pretty sure i saved a goal. I cleared pucks from the zone well and even though we lost 11-6, when I was on the ice we were up 4-3, which leaves me with a plus-1.
I was very proud of myself.
So far my stats would read as follows: 2 team wins, 1 team loss.
2 assists, 2 penalty minutes. Plus-4. Or 3-0-2-2-2-+4 in NHL terms :).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment