I am simply copying a pasting this story which recently happened to my brother Benny who is on shlichus in Los Cabos, Mexico. Ironically, before he went on the vacation, I told him he'd meet a Jew out there. I was almost correct. Read on (reposted from his running84.blogspot.com blog).
Just a story I'd like to mention about our vacation.
As several people commented on the blog, they predicted that I would meet a bunch of Yidden in the city and I would make them Frum overnight and it would be an incredible Hashgocho Protis story for next week's Kfar Chabad or Beis Moshiach magazine and it would be Sholom Al Yisroel.
Well, it wasn't so. We spent most of the time secluded and to ourselves. It was a vacation after all. I know! I know! You're thinking "Feh! Shluchim NEVER have vacations!!".
Perhaps.
But that's not part of the story now, is it?
So anyways, we finish our trip, pack up the car on Tuesday morning and begin heading back to Cabo.
In order to get back to the highway with the normal 'paved' roads, I would have to take a road all around the entire city to the highway. It would take double as long and serve as a huge detour.
So I geniusly decided to take a shortcut. I would turn onto some unpaved road on the way and it should Lecheoireh take me straight to the highway, which would save time on our trip.
I took some turn and drove. We were on some rocky, bumpy, unpaved road in the middle of Mexicoville. There were clothelines all over the place. Stray dogs running about. Basically, it was as Mexican as it gets.
While we were driving, we see some sort of Cemetary coming up. It had a huge Tzeilem on the gate and a bunch of gentile graves. I didn't pay much attention to it while I was skimming over rocks and what not. But Sonia noticed that one of the graves at the end of the cemetary had a Magel David on it.
She convinced me to stop and have a look. After all, "This may be the reason why Hashem made us take this road!"
I stopped and snuck through the barb wire fence and slowly guided my way to the end of the graveyard, where I took a picture of the grave.
It's the top picture of this post.
The name was Allan Gordon, most definitely an American Jew, who apparently lived in Los Barriles (There are lots of American retirees who live there).
But he died almost three years ago and is buried among all these Goyim.
Needless to say, it was a very inspiring Hashgocho Protis moment.
I have the picture and have already begun working on researching who this guy is, if his family in Los Barriles is Jewish, if there are any other Jews in the city and other stuff that might help bring some Yidden back to Yiddishkeit. Who knows where this will lead.
I looked it up. His Yahrtzeit is 5 Teves, 5767. IY"H, I plan on travelling to the graveyard on Hei Teves this year and saying a chapter of Tehilim for his Neshama. Who knows??
All this, because I decided to take a shortcut through some random Los Barriles town road. Crazy!

5 comments:
That's pretty wild. Shows you what wives are good for, eh?
Or children.
I mean, in the sense that they buried the guy with a Mogen Dovid.
And I meant wives in a good sense too! (in case Elisheva is reading this)
I almost didn't because I read this the first time on the other blog...
Post a Comment