Friday, June 19, 2009

The Jewish comedy festival

I was never really a VIP or someone with 'connections', but last week we had a special treat. The second Jewish comedy festival took place in Montreal, and was organized by our best friends in Montreal, Rabbi yisroel and Sara Bernath of Chabad of NDG and Loyola Campus.

I wrote a 30-second tv spot about the comedy fest which was advertised on global-tv for about a month, and I also helped him put together a 5 minute video about Chabad of NDG which was displayed between performances and got a round fo applause at the end of it (yay). Actually I just wrote the outline since it was anyway interview-based.

In return, Yisroel gave us front seat tickets - basically the best seats in the house. Here are some photos from the amazing and hilarious event:


Tali yess and something Segal, who emceed. Tali was fantastic, but the woman didn't know her audience and tried too hard. It still came out ok.


Yisroel Campbell who came on after Joey Elias (sorry, no picture of Joey).

I should mention here how awesome Joey Elias was. He wrote his act specifically for the target audience. If you weren't from Montreal or you weren't Jewish, you'd miss out on half his jokes. He was awesome!

For example:

A bunch of yeshiva bochurim walked in late in the middle of the show. As they were getting into their seats (near the front of the audience), Joey quips:

"Oh look! The 32 bus from Victoria just arrived!"


Yisroel is the man! He gave over a Dvar Torah and dazzled the audience. He's only been in NDG for a little over a year!


I was the first victim of the Mark Salem show. He had me (and then 2 other people) think of a random number between 1 and 10. Naturally I thought of the number 4. The other two thought of 7. Then he pulls out a paper which he wrote on before speaking to us, and it said, "4-7-7".

When he asked me my name, Malky and Esty who were in the back, started whooping and cheering. Mark looked up and asks me, "why are they up there?"

Chayale retorted, "Hey, I'm his wife and I'm right here!"


Mark Salem writing something down and me smiling like a dolt.


That's me behind Mark Salem's shoulder down at the bottom near the stage.

It was a great night out, and we felt like VIPs. I think next year Yisroel will have to find a larger hall.

13 comments:

the Mitzvah man! said...

I love the 'dolt'

Can't wait to surprise see you. Apparently, the family was keeping my secret arrival secret from me. I had no idea that it was supposed to be a surprise.

the Mitzvah man! said...

Also, why does it seem empty? lots of seats are not taken.

Zvi said...

Benny, it was packed! Almost 700 people!

Maybe someone had stepped out or something.

Will you be in town for a Friday so we can get some roller-hockey action?

Also, what do you think about reopening the site?

Антон said...

Раввин, вы тот, кто имеет опальный мать земля! Вы тот, кто говорил плохо о наших праздниках. Вы тот, кто не праздновать День Победы. Вы тот, кто не ест наших продуктов. Вы тот, кто хочет довести мессии. У нас есть оружие, у нас есть армия, у нас есть украшения и множество изумрудов. Мы не едят кузнечиков

Zvi said...

I hope the above cmoment was a joke. I didn't understand it all, but here's a translation.

Anton:

Rabbi, you are the one who has disgraced mother the earth! You are the one who spoke badly about our holidays. You are the one who did not celebrate Victory Day. You are the one who does not eat our products. You the one who wishes to bring the Messiah. We have a weapon, we have an army, we have ornaments and sets of emeralds. We do not eat grasshoppers.


I hope it's a joke. Chaim, if that's you, let us know.

And can anyone get a good translation of the last bit?

Chaim said...

:-)

Zvi said...

:)

Translate the end for me, Chaim...

Anonymous said...

I don't think anything needs to be translated further.... you got it right the first time...

Anonymous said...

We do not eat grasshoppers... hahaha awesome!!

Anonymous said...

We do not eat grasshoppers... hahaha awesome!!

Anonymous said...

We do not eat grasshoppers... hahaha awesome!!

Zvi said...

Hey this is like the book Danny three times

Just like a guy said...

sheesh. I'm glad to hear the event was a success.