Pictured: Kostya's cafe. 'Cafe Kovcheg'. (Interestingly enough Kovcheg is used as the Russian word for Aron Kodesh).
Officially, there are a couple of million Jews in Russia. In reality, the number is much, much higher.
For example, the latest official census in Stavropol has almost 700 Jews listed. Yet I personally have met more than 700 Jews, and everyone in the community knows that there is at least 3000 of them living in Stavropol.
Everyone in Russia knows of families where 'they used to be Jewish', 'they're too afraid to openly say they're Jewish, but everyone knows they're Jews' or 'they converted'.
This is all thanks to 80 years of communism and general anti-Semitism which still exists today (as evidenced by the 20 or so swastikas I found, filmed and reported during my time in Stavropol, and one bench marked all over with 'kill the Jews' outside the local zoo).
Even the more openly Jewish Jews are afraid to walk outside with a Yarmulka. In Russia, it is easier to convince someone to get a circumcision that to wear Tzitzis publicly.
While I put up several Mezuzas in Stavropol, one Mezuza stands out because it was at a business.
Kostya and Sasha Solomonov own a very successful restaurant in a village just outside of Stavropol. The restaurant is off the main highway and has a small hotel on top of it. The interior has an atmosphere, and they have a fantastic reputation, as I found out by arriving each Friday afternoon (to put Tefillin on the brothers) and finding the place half full.
He also prides his restaurant in that he has over 80 recipes for Shashlik, the most in the entire South of Russia.
We had our Hachnosas Sefer Torah ceremony in his place, and when I went in the early morning to make the kitchen kosher, my father-in-law (who had flown in for the occasion) suggested he put up a Mezuza. Kostya immediately agreed, and we put the Mezuza up in his restaurant.
Every Friday I visited, and would kiss the Mezuza dramatically in front of him to show him how happy I was for him.
Ironically, I met with the mayor of the village who told me that he would give me land free of charge to build a synagogue. Impracticle, since it was too far for Jews to get to, but still a nice gesture.
This morning while I was davening my mother showed up at our door with an important message. Kostya had called several times, and he had an intertpreter with him. He needed to speak to me immediately. My mother had tried to reach me but our phone was down and she DOESN'T READ THIS BLOG! Yet.
(By the way, our phone is running again).
I went to my parents house and called Kostya. He was really excited, and had telephoned to inform me of the recent news, that he had been made president.
"I know that already." I told him.
"But do you know that I'm not just the president of the city of Stavropol, rather the ENTIRE REGION of which there are officially 50,000 Jews?"
That I didn't know.
We had a good, long chat. He asked me advice on what he should be doing, and I told him to try and continue doing what I started, i.e. building infrastructure for communities to be in place.
He told me he was going to put in a formal request asking for my return. I thanked him for that and told him I hope it works out.
He asked me what's happening with the Torah? does it stay in Stavropol? "Of course", I told him. "I already spoke with the guy donating the Torah and it will remain in the city."
Then I found out that he has a brother (or is it cousin? the Russian words for cousin and brother is the same) who just moved to Montreal! I organized a meeting with him, which will take place tomorrow.
He lives like 10 blocks away from my parents!
We chatted a little longer, and then he had to go.
After I hung up Chayale mentioned how his newfound status and prestige all comes from putting up a Mezuza in his restaurant.
Before using his cafe he wasn't active and involved in the community. But after making his place kosher, having a Hachnasas Sefer Torah event, and banging in a Mezuza, it looks like his fortunes have turned for the better.
The community, when thinking of someone who would be a good leader, approached him for the job.
Don't underestimate the power of a Mezuza.

1 comment:
שכר מצוה מצוה
Post a Comment