Tuesday, July 07, 2009

We're missed


My odnoklassniki public profile picture.

As I've written many times before, I met many Stavropol Jews on the website odnoklassniki.ru, which is pretty much the Russian version of facebook.

I even created a group titled 'Stavropol Jews.' As of today, there are 60 members. Admittedly, about half of them are ex-Stavropolians living in Israel, but still 30-40 members of a Russian Jewish community in a semi-public internet group is something unique and pretty amazing, I think.

There is a discussion board, with an 'ask the Rabbi' thread, which recently was filled with questions on Kabbalah.

What can I tell them? I said I don't know Kabbalah, except for the very basics.

Anyway, today the board got interesting. Someone I don't know wrote that they've been speaking to people in the community who supported getting rid of me, and they said that there is a general consensus among them that they made a mistake. They want us back.

While I wish they'd have discovered this earlier, it's a good feeling to have. And I'm glad I listened to the advice people gave me not to reply publicly and turn this into a war and ego battle. I'm proud that we did the right and decent thing by not answering back publicly.

I wrote a reply on the thread. It was simple. "Thank you for telling me this. I wish I could return."

It's the truth.

1 comment:

Just like a guy said...

Return again, return again, return to the land of your soul, return to who you are, return to what you are, return to where you are, born and reborn again.