Wednesday, July 01, 2009
Stavropol's ex-Shul - panoramic view
The only thing missing is the view from the viewpoint. Yes, it's at the top of the mountain and a minute walk from Lenin square (in other words, the center of the city).
Nice, huh?
According to Russian law, the Jews are supposed to get the Shul back.
That is, if the official leaders of the Jewish community WANT it back...
When we arrived, we tried to work on getting it back, but everything we tried, all ideas... were vetoed by Yefim. We didn't understand why.
The only thing he did was:
- Organize a meeting with the lawyer who had worked on getting the shul back a few years ago, when the city gave them their current location for free instead. The lawyer spent an hour convincing me that the Jews don't want or need the shul back and that even if we worked on it we wouldn't be able to get it back.
- One day when I walked into the center he was meeting with the heads of Stavropol's department of religion. I assumed it was to introduce me to them and we chatted. At one point they asked me what I thought about the Shul. I told them that we'd like to get it back, and I'm speaking to Rabbi Lazar about it. Later, when they left, Yefim told me that that had been my opportunity to ask them to return the Shul.
What a shame. What will happen with it now?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
האט ביטחון וואט אלא זיין גיט
Post a Comment