Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The appeal


'Rabbi' by Chaya Mushka Berkun, age 11 of Stavropol.

Here is the lowdown on how the appeal went.

Many people from the community showed up (don't have a number but I assume around 20 or 30), but the judge allowed only 3 peole inside. The judge listed my crime as a problem with registration, and our lawyer agreed that it was wrong, however not bad enough to have me thrown out of Russia.

The judge then heard the FSB people (3 of them), who brought out a letter dated in January from Yefim (president of the community) requesting that I be thrown out. My lawyer protested, since she hadn't seen the letter beforehand, yet it was still accepted by the court.

The lawyer is trying to get a copy of the letter.

The judge then deliberated, and ruled that I must pay a fine of 2000 rubles. He didn't say a word about whether or not I can stay in Russia.

It will take a day or two for his written ruling to go through, and I'll pass it along then...

I wonder what will be changed in this one.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

that's all the news?

the Mitzvah man! said...

Please keep us updated... And mazel tov on the wedding.

The Momma said...

Hope all turns out for the best as we are praying for you all the time.