Thursday, March 19, 2009

FAQ

Another Shliach posted his FAQ on his website, and I thought it was a great idea. So here are our Frequenly Asked Questions (thanks for the idea, Chaim).

Why did you move to Russia?

I (Zvi) have been to Ukraine/Russia several times for camp and Pesach, and identified very much with the Russian Jews. I feel that I have the talents and abilities to be the Rabbi a community, particularly in a place where I would have to literally revive Judaism, and this was available in Russia. As a Lubavitcher Chossid, my Rebbe had a special place in his heart for Russian Jews, and so do I.

But why Stavropol?

When we decided to move to Russia, we met with Rabbi Lazar. e asked us where we wanted to go, and we told him that we wanted to spiritually lead a community. He offered us 3 cities which we then visited, and finally chose Stavropol because while the other cities had dwindling populations and no youth, Stavropol had an operating Sunday school with over 20 children.

How do you get kosher food?

We are lucky to be one of the cities in Russia that has a 'Metro' store, where we can buy many kosher products. Milk and meat is brought in from Moscow, and whenever we travel out of the country, we try and stock up on cheese, nosh and meat so that we can constantly have full freezer in our apartment.

Is there lots of anti-Semitism in Stavropol?

I haven't felt it. Whenever I walk in the streets, I always get the stares, but mostly they are curious ones. In the year that I've been there, I've received probably around 10 anti-Semitic comments in total, and had one creepy story where a guy followed me home that you can read waaay back in my blog.

Do you wear your hat and jacket when you walk in the street, or a baseball cap?

Hat and jacket. If it's a very hot day, then my hat is off, but my yarmulkah remains. The reason for this is because people will anyway know I am Jewish. I am proud of it. Also, that is how I have met many members of my community, and I know that when Jews see a Rabbi, even if they are afraid to admit they are Jewish, it gives them a surge of pride.

Where is Stavropol, and how far is Stavropol from Moscow?

Stavropol is in the South of Russia, near the Kavkaz (Caucasus) mountains. It's quite a distance from Moscow. A two-and-a-half hour flight, and a day's drive from Moscow.

Are there any other Shluchim nearby, and are you in contact with them?

Yes, Rabbi Shneor Segal in Krasnodar has been a huge help and a great friend. He is a five hour drive. Chaim Danzinger just moved to Rostov which is a similar distance, and it's nice to have a friend from Canada nearby. There is also a Rabbi who is a mountain Jew but not Chabad in Pyatigorsk, two-and-a-half hours from Stavropol. We have met and he is a very nice man and a good Rabbi, and another Shliach in Nalchik, 5 hours South-east.I haven't had the opportunity to visit him yet.

How can you take your children so far from America? How can you eprive them of the good life?

Growing up on shlichus might be a better life than growing up in America. Miriam has some really good friends in Stavropol, and she will be a part of our shlichus - doing something more important than just going to school each day.

How do you deal with the fact that many Jews n Russia are intermarried?

It's part of life. Since we follow Jewish law, we obviously prioritize Halachic Jews (and if your mother is a Jew, you are too), since a Rabbi cannot marry a Jew to a non-Jew, and we don't want non-Jews growing up thinking they are Jews. However, we are also out thee for humanitarian reasons, and have for example raised money for a child with leukemia who was not a Halachic Jew. In general we invite anyone who has a Jew in their family over, but I have also made friends with several non-Jews, including two Christian priests.

Do you have running water?

Yes, we do. But some areas of Stavropol don't, and one of the saddest things I have seen was a lineup at a pipe in the middle of the winter. The pipe is in the street, and that is where residents get their water. About 10 people were waiting, each with a small bucket. It was freezing outside, and there was an old woman in the line.

How do you travel to Stavropol?

Stavropol has an airport, but it only travels once a day to Moscow, and not even to Moscow's international airport. When I need to go to Moscow, I use Stavropol's airport. Otherwise I will fly from Mineralni Voda (a city two and a half hours from Stavropol) or Krasnodar.

what is the hardest thing about your shlichus?

The visa issues. If only we were settled.

Where do you shop for clothes?

In America. Whenever we visit the US, we bring 5 suitcases minimum with us, and only 2 are packed. Then we return with all the stuff we can only get in America.

Are there any frum families in Stavropol besides for you guys?

Not yet ;).

How many Jews live in Stavropol?

Several thousand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we'll contact the courts in Stavropol and ask them to add Plagiarism to the list... lol

We should hear good news there and from you very soon!! The only thing I could think is that the court date had to be moved earlier so that it will still fall in the month of ADAR!!!!

We should hear very good news this week!!