Zvi writing.
Yesterday morning I got a panicky email from our secretary informing me that our appeal trial was moved to March 24th (from March 31st).
This is a disaster, since I had to prepare and send an ORIGINAL apostilled document authorizing a lawyer in Stavrpol to represent me in court. I had gone to a notary who speaks Russian on my first day back, and was still waiting for the document to be ready from the apostille office.
Well, to make a long story short, as soon as the document was ready, I picked it up (150 dollars for notary and apostille work). Then we had to figure out a way to get it to Stavropol before Tuesday.
So we called DHL, FedEX, UPS, and USPS. While DHL said it could be there on the 25th (as did FedEX), UPS and USPS said (over the phone) that it could be there in 2 days (UPS) or 1-3 days (USPS).
I zipped over to the UPS store, where after a long discussion and more phone calls, discovered that 2 days is a general idea to get you into the store. The quickest the package can get to Stavropol is by Wednesday.
So I went to USPS, where after going through the same Spiel, discovered that it would take them 11, yes ELEVEN days to get a letter from Morristown to Stavropol. Ridiculous, huh?
I raced home to brainstorm what to do. By now it was 6:00. Rabbi Lazar had suggested that I call Mrs. Zalmanov in New York (who runs Or Avner there), and find out if she knows anyone leaving to Moscow, but she told me that the earliest anyone is travelng would be on Monday.
This gave me an idea. To go to JFK and get the documents on the plane, then have someone pick them up in Moscow. Seemed like a good plan, except I don't know how to get to JFK, and by the time I got near the airport, it was already 8:30.
I was back in Morristown at 10.
Anyone else have any ideas?
Friday, March 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Put it on craigslist:
"Important document in UPS envelope needs transportation to Stavropol, Russia (small military city 2 1/2 hour flight from Moscow) ASAP. Please do not offer to bring if you are encountering visa problems and do not know if/when you will arrive at destination. Shliach Mitzvah Gelt (money that insures your safety-kinda like a rabbit's tail-(lehavdil elef havdolos)) will be given for your services."
Trust me Zvi! I think it might work.
Zvi, if this document absolutely must be there or else.....
Then you have to do EVERYTHING TO GET IT THERE.
Even if it means sending someone on a flight to moscow and then to Stavropol (someone with a visa.)
Otherwise, you need to go to JFK on sunday 3 hours before the Aeroflot flight pay someone at check in to take the envelope for you and have someone wait at the airport to pick it up from that guy who a couple hours later will then fly himself to Stavropol to deliver it!!!
Don't give up, if this court case is important you must do all that can be done to get it there in time.
And as I said earlier, the court date has been changed so that it will take place before Adar is over, stop crying!!
We should hear good news!!!
Eagerly awaiting your return.
P.S. what's these rumors I'm hearing that you are looking into shlichus in California?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!
Wow! That advice was way better than mine! Do it!
Post a Comment