
Thank G-d our 27 hour trip is over.
We also had a scare, at 5:00 in the morning, on the road to Krasnodar.
We were driving down the one-lane, non-lit highway in a minivan taxi. We had gotten a decent price for the trip, and for some odd reason we were awake, chatting with him.
You have to imagine the picture of what it was like, because it was terrifying. No other cars on the road, farmland all around us. Pitch black and heavily fogged. We can only see a few feet in front of us by the headlights of the car. Light snow was falling, and the windshield wipers were on high, swishing back and forth and back and forth. The driver is doing 100 km an hour on this bumpy, lonesome road.
Then from out of nowhere, as if in a nightmare, we see the figure of a man directly in front of the car, in the middle of the highway. We couldn't have seen him earlier since it was so foggy, but there he was, the outline of a figure, and we were racing toward him. My heart jumped out of my body.
The driver slammed on the brakes and veered hard to the right, but we heard a loud SMACK, and then it was quiet.
Immediately the driver stopped the car and ran out to look. I was sure the guy we hit was dead, and terrified as there was no one else around, and no civilization either for another 10 minute drive.
The driver came back from studying the front of the van, and said it wasn't damaged. However, his side mirror was gone, obviously smashed to pieces.
Then he backed up to find the person. When we got close he stopped and left the car. Chayale told me to lock the doors, which I did. I also looked out my side mirror to see the driver shouting at someone (it was very foggy, so I couldn't see clearly). The driver finally came in, furious (it was an imported car, and would cost him over 300 bucks to get a new mirror).
We backed up, and collected the shattered pieces of the mirror (there weren't many). As we drove off, I saw the guy we hit on the side of the road, walking forward as though nothing happened, holding a large bottle of Vodka in his hand.
He was wearing army fatigues.

2 comments:
dude your picture isn't good, there are way too many lights...
CRAZY STORY!!!!
Anything normal happen in Stavropol lately?
Yea Chayale... I was thinking of that "heavily fogged" we see that in the picture, but not "pitched black"
I would love to read the drunk guy's blog:
"So I was peacefully strolling down the road, a few blocks from my farm..." excerpts from his blog www.yaplichka.blogspot.com
Post a Comment